Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Different Kind of Soldier

I have written in the past, on several occasions, about how upset and depressed I get on Veteran's day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day.

Diabetes took away a dream of mine to be a soldier, serve my country, and fight for freedom.

But as of late I have tried to find a way to be a soldier of a different kind. Serving the world instead of my country. Fighting for freedom from a binding disease. Battling the war against Diabetes.

I am no doctor or medical professional in any way shape or form. Nor do I have any business entering a lab except to have blood drawn. Personally, I have no way to come up with a cure. No, my fighting has to happen out in the streets and in the world.

Writing this blog is a way I fight. I try to be open, honest, and as transparent as I can be. My hope is that it  adds some understanding to the ups and downs that come with this disease. We are all different so I never expect everyone to "get" all my posts but someone must and that means for that moment, that person feels less alone. That person feels apart of a community. And when they do...mission accomplished.

In talking to people I am constantly bringing up Tweets I have read, blogs I have commented on, and cool stuff happening around the Diabetes online community. Talking about it makes it educating easier. Letting friends ask questions and explaining things to them is a way of fighting ignorance and battling stereotypes. Especially when you hear those friends going out and correcting other incorrect information. I love that.

Walking for the ADA, raising money for the JDRF, donating money to the Diabetes Hand Foundation, or any other charity work you can do also helps in the struggle for a world rid of diabetes.

I know it is not the soldier I wanted to be but if I can help people in any way, then I am in.

Who's with me?

15 comments:

Stacey D. said...

I'm with you George!!

"D" as in "D" said...

George, You have have helped me in ways you will never know because of your personal dedication to diabetes awareness. My family is not terribly supportive and doesn't seem to "get it". I am desperate for people who do.

Keep fighting the good fight. You'll never know how many people you touch by doing so.

tmana said...

Sing it out, Brother George! Blogging, tweeting, e-mailing, wearing d-related gear, and being ready to educate, to help, to witness...

Don't care what type it is
Don't care what color of your skin
Don't care how old or how young
Diabetes affects us all
The sugar song is sung

We may not live to see a cure
Or even stop its growth, that's sure
But we can help you live your life
And minimize your 'betes strife

Sisters, brothers, parents, friends
Together in diabetes care
Our ups and downs we'll share
Since the cycle never ends
And if we find a cent to spare
Aid those whose life on us depends.

Rachel said...

Me and the husband, absolutely!

Casey said...

In our world, we need many different types of soldiers. Thanks for all your work! I will stand beside you :)

Tony Rose said...

I'm with you brother! Dad is retired after 35 years in the Army, Brother is in the Army and wife is Law Enforcement. I shared similar aspirations, but too try to now do it on the diabetes front. G - do me a favor and cue up the music... ~when we first met....~

Lee Ann Thill said...

You deserve the Purple Heart of the D world (the Blue Heart?).

George said...

Stacey D - Let's kick some D butt!

D and is D - I am sorry about your lack of support from the family but I hope you feel apart of this family. You are in my book. Stay strong.

tmana - That is awesome! SINGING IT OUT!

Rachel - You two are amazing. Thanks for fighting!

Casey - Let's beat the bete!

Tony Rose - That song has been on my heart a lot. You too are a total Soldier and I am proud to call you my friend.

LeeAnn - Maybe a blue circle of honor? You need one too!

babscampbell said...

Nice post George.

I have a daughter in Iraq right now and as I was questioning her with those worried-mommy questions, she was doing the same. . asking about my diabetes. I said that I was more worried for her and her reply was, Geez Mom, we're both fighting against something that could kill us. Give me the opportunity to worry for you too!

We all have our battles, and in this Army, I'd say you're an officer! A true leader doesn't push or simply direct his troops, he gets up front and says, 'follow me.' As a Private in this army, just because I'm a newbie, I try to follow those who've shown resilience and tenacity. Thanks for providing good information, fun and unique perspectives and some inspiration.

k2 said...

George:
You are General Ninjabetic in the world of D, and your D-troops are loyal for many reasons.
We find comfort in your words,
we laugh at your stories.
And sometimes are they bring us to tears.
You challenge your D-Army to do better not only for themselves, but to help others as well.
And even though your General Ninjabetic, you answer proudly to the Name "Baconator General!"
It's an honor to serve with you Sir!

Crystal said...

Here's to fighting the good fight man. I'm with ya. #LYLB

Chris Stocker said...

I'd be part of your diabetes army anyday.

Cherise said...

Bro,

You know I'm with you!!! Loved your post today;)

Rick Chafton said...

I'm with ya, George. I too had dreams of being a soldier. More specifically, a Naval Fighter Pilot. I was diagnosed with Type 1 before those dreams we're ever conceptual. So instead, I am a martial artist. I'm also a Commercial Aviation Mechanic. One thing I've learned over 26 years with diabetes, don't stop fighting, and don't stop dreaming. Sometimes you just have to have different dreams. I'm studying to be a physical trainer so that I can help other diabetics out there. I don't suffer from diabetes. I live with it, and I fight it. And will continue to do so until I die. Maybe you and I are brothers in arms when it comes to diabetes?

Bob Fenton said...

George, This post really warms my heart. This war on diabetes seems like an uphill battle and unlike any other war. Wounded - yes, injured - yes, maimed - yes, but this is unending 24/7.

Keep doing battle and someday there may be an end. I am a veteran (Viet Nam era), but I need more courage for this war on diabetes.

Bob